Expertise Level: Easy
Related information: http://iweb.com/dedicated-server/windows
The Windows Server backup utility gives you the possibility to backup data from your server to a local disk (ideally a second disk attached to your server) or on a network share.
1- Windows Server Backup Installation
- Launch the Server Manager.
- In the right-hand menu, click on Manage > Add roles and functionalities.
- Select “Install based on a role of functionality” and click on “Next”.
- Select the server where you want to install the backup functionality.
- Click on “Next” since you do not want to install a specific control.
- Select “Windows Server Backup” from the list and click on “Next". If “Windows Server Backup” is not displayed on the list, use the vertical scroll bar located at the right of the functionalities list.
- Place a checkmark in “Automatically restart the destination server, if necessary” and click on “Yes” and “Install” to launch the install of Windows Server Backup.
- The install process will run in the background, you can close the window by clicking on “Close”.
- You can click on the Notifications Center icon (in right upper corner of the Server Manager) to see the progress of the installation.
2- Utilization of Windows Server Backup
Once the install has successfully completed, you can launch the backup management utility from the Tool menu of the Server Manager. The Windows Server Backup utility lets you create and manage backups, restore files and see the system’s status. It also lets you plan complete or personalized (specific disks, for example) server backups.