Expertise level: Medium
You can reduce spam by activating SpamAssassin.
Spam Assassin is an automated mail filter that uses a wide range of heuristic algorithms on mail headers and message body text to identify "SPAM" (unsolicited email). Once identified, the mail is tagged as "SPAM" for later filtering using the user's desktop mail client.
For more information, please visit the developer's website:
Following are the steps to setup spam filters using Spam Assassin from cPanel.
- Log in to your cPanel Interface.
- From the "Mail" section, click on the "Spam Assassin" icon.
- To enable Spam Assassin, click on "Enable Spam Assassin"
- To configure Spam Assassin, click on "Configure Spam Assassin".
If you are still receiving a lot of spam emails, make sure you do the following steps:
- Enable BoxTrapper. Box Trapper requires the email sender to confirm his identity by responding to an autoresponder.
- Always assure your email addresses are never mentioned on your website, not even in the source.
- Use a dedicated email address when filling in forms. It is very possible that you're being spammed on an email address that you had entered on a form.
- You can manage the spam mails to your domain in cPanel by creating "Account level filters". Refer to the article "What are email filters? How can I activate them?" for setting up account level filters.
Please check the relevant screen captures:
To activate SpamAssassin:
To activate BoxTrapper: