Expertise level: Easy
Use this procedure to configure backups from WHM:
- Log on to your WHM as root.
- Go to "Backup" section.
- Click on "Configure Backup".
Here you have different options to configure backups:
- Backup Status: You can enable or disable the backups.
- Backup Interval: The interval between each backup.
- Backup Retention: Backups which will be retained.
- Days to Run Backup: Specific days for which the backup process will run.
- Remount/Unmount Backup Drive: You have the option to configure a separate disk to be mounted at the time the backup is running, and unmounted once completed.
- Bail Out If Backup Drive Mount Fails: Select whether or not you wish to cancel the backup process if the backup drive fails to mount.
- Incremental Backup: This will help you reduce the backup run-time and usage of server resources. Only the directories and files that are changed after the previous backup time is backed up. However, this kind of backups will use more disk space, as there is no compression.
- Backup Accounts: Select this option if you wish to back up accounts.
- Compress Account Backups: Select this option if you wish to compress the backup files.
- Backup Configuration Files: Select this option if you wish to back up configuration files.
- Backup SQL Databases: Types of MySQL backups: "Per Account Only", "Entire MySQL Directory" and "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory".
- Backup Access Logs: Select this option if you wish to back up access logs.
- Use local DNS zone files rather than retrieving the latest zone updates from the cluster: For cluster systems only. The backup process will select the local DNS zone file, rather than searching the cluster for the latest zone record.
- Backup Type: You can configure the backups to be loaded to a remote FTP destination rather than to the backup disk. You should then select the backup type as "Remote FTP Server (Accounts Only)".
- EXPERIMENTAL: Use Hard Links for weekly and monthly backups to reduce disk usage and backup time: Select whether or not you wish to use hard links for weekly and monthly backups.
- EXPERIMENTAL: Enable use of optimized account backup tool: (EXPERIMENTAL) The backup utility will use /usr/local/cpanel/bin/pkgacct if it exists.
- Remote FTP Host: If you have choose "Remote FTP Server (Accounts Only)" for "Backup Type", you must enter here the FTP server's IP address or hostname.
- FTP Backup User: If you have choose "Remote FTP Server (Accounts Only)" for "Backup Type", you must enter here the FTP username.
- FTP Backup Password: If you have choose "Remote FTP Server (Accounts Only)" for "Backup Type", you must enter here the FTP password.
- FTP Backup Directory: If you have choose "Remote FTP Server (Accounts Only)" for "Backup Type", you can enter here a name for the FTP backup directory. A directory called cpbackup in the FTP account's directory root will be used if none specified.
- FTP Backup Passive Mode: required if you are behind a firewall or FTP backups fail.
- Backup Destination: If you are using Standard type of backups, you should specify the disk mount point where the backups need to be stored (usually the backups will be stored into the mount point /backup).
- Select Specific Users: You can choose here the specific accounts you wish to back up.
Check the relevant screen capture: