As of January 2013, MS SQL 2012 licensing requirements are evolving to meet the needs of increased Cloud Server popularity. The new model is based on a per-core plan, evolving away from a per-socket plan.
IMPORTANT: Customers requiring MS SQL for virtual instances must contact a sales representative to ensure adequate licensing is in place: http://iweb.com/hosting-support
Here are some facts to consider when choosing your plan:
Physical server licensing
- Licenses are required for all physical cores on hardware.
- There is a minimum of four cores per processor.
- Unlimited virtualization is available with Enterprise Edition.
Virtual machine licensing
- Licenses are required for virtual cores.
- There is a minimum of four virtual cores per virtual machine (Cloud Server).
- Licenses are sold in packs. Each pack includes two core licenses (two-core pack).
- Enterprise Edition grants unlimited virtualisation instances.
- Datacenter Edition is discontinued and all the features are now included in the Enterprise Edition.
- Workgroup Edition is discontinued and replaced by the Standard Edition.
- If your Virtual Machine has only two virtual cores, a minimum of four core licences will be billed.
Which edition is right for you? Read more on Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server.aspx
Please speak to an iWeb sales associate for pricing: http://iweb.com/hosting-support